Saturday 21 April 2012

Pooh Bear Cake






A friend of mine asked me for a Pooh Bear cake for her wife's 30th Birthday. At first I thought he wanted a cake with pooh figurine because he requested pooh and piglet together so I said no problem. Then he explain that he wanted it to be special and request whether I can create a cake in the shape of pooh bear like a doll, I was intrigue and quickly explained that I could give it a go but I never done full on 3D cake before. It will require serious carving and possibly using Rice Krispie Treat which I never done before. My friend told me to give it a go and so I did it.

I was so busy that week and didn't get a chance to do the step-by- step guide I think it's because I've never done it before that I'm not really confident to make a tutorial. So I went to the internet to find out how to work with Rice Krispie Treat, most of the video tutorials  I found didn't really show how to mold RKT by hand. So I turned to written tutorial and decided to give it a go. It wasn't as hard as I imagined but the key is you have to work fast with the right amount of Rice Krispie Treat.

I did the head of pooh with RKT, it looks alright from the front but it's actually a little bit flat if you see it from sides. But for a first attempt I'm quite happy with the result. The hardest part doing this cake is covering the RKT head with fondant, I had to cover it 2 layers to ensure smooth finish. If you let me be critical I think the shape of the Pooh could be better, yes it looks like bear with pooh t-shirt but other than that it's just yellow bear with red  pooh t-shirt. But to my own defense this is my first attempt creating 3D cake and I think I've done pretty well.

Pooh from the side, notice the flat head?

didn't notice the flat head? How about now? LOL

View from the top

Another view of the cake

So I heard the birthday girl was thrilled by the cake to the extend that she refused to cut the cake. At the end the only cut the honey pot leave the pooh alone. And finally they cut the pooh the next day hehehehe. This is such an intriguing cake and I've learned so much doing this cake. I hope you enjoy my post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment